Croatian Stuffed Calamari with pork mince, rice, prosciutto and paprika relish, a traditional dish from the Croatia. This is a great dish and a favourite of mine and I particularly like the way the freshness of the Italian tomatoes compliment the calamari. Devine.
8 extra small – medium calamari / squid tubes
250gr crushed Italian tomatoes
½ - 1 cup pre boiled long grain rice
250gr pork mince
2 rasher of prosciutto – rustic dice (a good bacon will do)
2 – 4 cloves garlic finely chopped (depends on the werewolf in you)
¼ - ½ cup fresh bread crumbs – dried
¼ cup roughly chopped parsley
2 finely chopped spring onion
1 lemon (1 Tspn of zest and the remaining juiced.
2 -3 Tspn seafood Vegeta
4 Tbsn Ajvar Mild Vegetable and Paprika relish
150ml dry White wine
Splash good balsamic vinegar
Fig vincotto (for drizzling)
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
1. Prepare the calamari tubes by washing them in cold water if required remove spine if required.
2. To make the stuffing mix the rice, pork mince, prosciutto, garlic, parsley, bread crumbs, spring onion, Vegeta, Ajvar relish, and the lemon juice and zest. Combine well. Add more bread crumbs if required if the mix (stuffing) is too wet. Season well. Place stuffing inside the Calamari tubes. Close the Calamari ends with toothpicks.
3. Into a medium hot oven proof pan add a good splash of olive oil , seal and sear the stuffed Calamari and colour slightly. Turn often to facilitate even cooking and colouring. Place pan in a pre heated oven on 220c and bake for approximately 10 – 15 minutes or until cooked.
4. To a suitable pot add the crushed Italian tomatoes with the white wine and balsamic. Simmer and reduce slightly. Season.
5. When the Calamari is cooked remove from the oven and slice to present removing the toothpicks prior to service. Compliment with the crushed tomato, white wine and balsamic reduction.
6. Drizzle a little fig vincotto around the plate and serve. Enjoy.