Gourmet Smoked Salmon Pie
1 bunch of spinach, leaves only
80g butter (approx)
pinch of nutmeg
400g smoked salmon fillet (flesh only)
200g fresh salmon fillet, pin bones removed
1 butternut pumpkin, skinned, thinly sliced and pre-cooked (by boiling)
1 tablespoon runny honey
sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
150g celeriac, precooked (by boiling)
1 large or 2 small kumara (golden and orange are ideal), precooked (by boiling)
• Preheat the oven to 180-200°C.
• Blanch the spinach leaves in 25g of the butter with nutmeg. Set aside.
• Grease a large pie dish with a little of the butter. Place the spinach leaves, smoked and fresh salmon and precooked pumpkin slices into the dish in alternating layers. Drizzle each layer with a little honey and season with salt and pepper.
• Place a further 20g of butter into a medium-sized saucepan with the olive oil and precooked diced celeriac and kumara. Heat without colouring the vegetables and add the cream. When hot, season with a little salt and pepper. Purée in a blender, or mash by hand and whip with a fork until smooth, adding more cream and butter as necessary to get the right consistency.
• Top the pie with the sweet potato and celeriac mash, patterning the topping for beautiful presentation if you wish (a piping bag can also be used). Brush the top of the pie with a little melted butter.
• Place the pie in the oven and bake for 15-30 minutes, taking care not to brown the topping too much.
• Serve with a simple green salad, dressed with lemon-infused olive oil.