Pan roasted chicken breast on a warmed potato and green bean salad with a watercress pesto
A great combination! The richness of the salmon is perfected by the prosciutto and balanced by the warmed potato and green bean salad then topped off by the rustic and peppery flavour of the watercress pesto.
4 x Chicken breast – Skin on, Skin off….your call and depends on the calories this month.
200gr small boiling potatoes (Ilam Hardy or Agria) skin on
1 -2 Garlic cloves (depends on taste and preference)
Pinenuts – ¾ cup (cashew nuts also will work)
2 x good handfuls of watercress leaves – Good big handful (bigger hands than smaller) Man hands!
1 lemon – 1 in juice for the pesto
Manzanillo Olive oil – Village press….the best Manzanillo olive Oil in the country..!
250gr fresh green beans (frozen whole baby beans are also ideal)
Salt and pepper
1. To a suitable sized pot cook the potatoes until just done – a little firm is ideal.
2. To a mortar and pestle (or a small food processor) add the garlic, pinenuts, the watercress and the lemon juice. Add a good dredge of olive oil and process until of a smooth consistency with little flecks of nuts in it. (Note – you will need to all a lot of olive oil to help combine the pesto but to allow flavour to come though).. Adjust seasoning with a little salt and pepper. Add more oil as desired for consistency. Allow to rest and readjust seasoning prior to serving. (this pesto / dressing can be made up to a week in advance and is also great for pasta dishes – keep chilled in an air tight container).
3. Splash a little olive oil over the chicken breasts and season, place into a medium hot pan and sear each side. Colour slightly prior to turning. Place into a medium hot oven (220c) and cook 10 – 15 mins….do not overcook and cook to ensure there is no blood present.
4. Whilst the chicken is cooking blanch the beans in a little salted water (if you time it right you can add the beans to the same pot as the potatoes – do not overcook just done is ideal. When the potatoes are cooked remove from the pot, slice, quarter or cut into wedges depending on size of the potato and add to a bowl. Add the beans and a spoon of the pesto to add colour and toss in a little olive oil and season.
5. Serve the chicken on top of the warmed salad with a good spoonful of the pesto over. Belisemo.