Stuffed grilled mussels with herbs and mozzarella
Italian styled Mussels from the region of Apulia, Mussels grilled with parsley, garlic, breadcrumbs and mozzarella, it is not very often that cheese is served with fish dishes but the mozzarella is light in flavour and does actually enhance this dish with its texture and mild flavour.
24 Mussels (half shell pre prepared are ideal, if not available then prepare and cook mussels and prepare to half shell) (6 each for an entrée or antipasto)
½ cup rough chop Italian or curly leaf parsley
3 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped or crushed)
1 ½ cups white fresh breadcrumbs
150grm Mozzarella cheese
Splash of dry white wine
Salt and pepper (to season)
Lemon wedges (garnish)
1 punnet small ripe cherry tomatoes
1. In a bowl place the parsley, garlic, breadcrumbs and a little olive oil, bind together. Splash in a little white wine for taste. Add more olive oil if required. Taste and season.
2. Place prepared mussels on an oven tray. With a teaspoon cover each mussel with the mixture, adding a little into the middle of the mussel also with a small sliver of mozzarella cheese into and on top of each mussel. Drizzle with a little olive oil if required if looking a little dry.
3. Place under a pre heated oven fan grill(not too close) for 5 – 10 minutes or until they are lightly coloured. (Do not place to close to the grill when cooking as the bread crumb mixture will burn and the mussels will not be hot enough)
4. Place on a large platter and serve immediately with lemon wedges with small cherry tomatoes and drizzle with a great aged balsamic.
5. A great antipasto dish, as well as a stand alone meal. Great with a dry white wine. Can be served hot or cold.